Sunday, March 20, 2016

Recent Buy - KR

The wait had been long!! I've always wanted to own a piece of this well run company. Finally, on 3rd March, the stock was down 8.1% and I swooped in to open a new position.

The company beat by $0.03, missed on revenue and the same-store sales growth guidance for FY2016 indicated a deceleration as compared to previous year's pace. I had missed out on previous occasions, not this time!! This is a well-run company and has potential to grow for multiple years.

I purchased 35 shares of The Kroger Co (KR: NYSE) on 3/03/16 for $37.408 per share. This is a new position in my Roth IRA. 

I buy 40-50% of my grocery from Kroger. Love the deli, veggies and fruits, dairy, meat/fish and ice-creams. The 'Simple Truth' organic brand is pulling in a lot of revenue for KR. Now the next time I enter Kroger to shop, I've made a mental note to remind myself that I own a small fraction of this company as well.

The dividend yield is small but the payout ratio < 20%. This indicates that the company has tremendous potential to grow the dividend. I'm betting that Kroger's share price would grow at a greater clip as compared to other dividend plays.

Dividend Yield = 1.12%
Annual Payout = $0.42 
Payout Ratio = 18.8%
Dividend Growth = 7 years
52 Week High = 12/30/2015| 42.75
% Off 52 Week High = -12.5%
Beta (5 Yr) = 0.8
Payable = $0.105- QRTR
Transaction fees = $7


This purchase adds $14.70 to my annual dividend income, based on the current $0.105 quarterly dividend.

My dividend stock portfolio will pay $1015.89 in dividends over the next 12 months.

2 comments:

  1. DGP,

    KR is a great addition to any portfolio. Their products are great, they have a great business model, and it doesn't look like they're going to topple over anytime soon. I've avoided them because of their small dividend yield but I'd guess in the coming years they will make up for it with growth over time. Nice pick,

    -Dividend Reaper

    ReplyDelete
  2. DR,

    That's true! Kroger has been around since 1883 and will continue to do so. Organic play, customer service and M&A will continue to fuel growth.

    Appreciate the support. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete