Sunday, January 22, 2017

2017 Goals

Hi All.

We are 3 weeks into the New year and I've spent a considerable amount of time going back and forth with my goals for the year. 
I'd like to outline goals on all fronts - family, finance, fitness, spiritual and career. I do plan on reviewing them on a quarterly basis.


Family Goals - 
1. Cook a meal once a month
This would definitely help my spouse. The day of choice would be Saturdays.

2. Date night once a month
This would make a total of 12 date nights in 2017. Not bad!! My wife would love the alone time. 

3. Spend time with my kids

4. Buy a house
This goal is tied to a favorable job change & relocation. We would be looking at houses ranging from $250K - $350K. If we do buy a house, my finance goals of investment would drastically alter. 


Finance Goals -  
1. Contribute $18,000 towards the 401K
I plan on contributing 18% - 20% of my weekly check towards the 401K. My mode of investing is via the Vanguard 500 Index Admiral (VFIAX) that has a quarterly distribution.

2. Earn $2,500 in dividends and $3K (over 12 month period)

  • In 2016, I accumulated $1,176.60 via dividends and my dividend stock portfolio would pay $1,661.42 in dividends over a 12 month period.
  • In 2017, as per fair calculations of dividend re-investment, dividend growth and dividends on 401k, Roth IRA, Loyal3 investments, I will target earning $2,500 via dividends and approx. $3,000 in dividends over a 12 month period. 

3. Invest $5,500 in Roth IRAs
I invested the max amount last year and plan to do so this year as well. I need to open a ROTH IRA for my spouse this year. 

4. Contribute and Invest HSA dollars
I have an HSA account and added $1K last year. 
This year I plan to contribute $3K and also invest the money.

5. Contribute $2K in taxable brokerage accounts - Loyal3, Scottrade and TD Ameritrade accounts

6. 529 plans
Plan to invest $3K and $1K in 529s for my 2 kids. 
I do not have any money in 529s as yet.


Fitness Goals - 
1. Run 400 miles thru' the year
I ran 400 miles in 2016. This goal challenged me last year and will definitely push me this year as well. 

2. Ban on Cola consumption
This one is going to test on many levels. My consumption in 2016 was a 32oz, once a week at work and a can of cola on the week-ends. This year I plan to substitute the cola with orange juice.

3. Run a Half marathon 
I've never run a half marathon before. In 2015 and 2016, I've run a 5K, 10K and a 10 miler. This year, lets say I'll run the half under 2 hours 30 minutes.


Spiritual Goals - 
1. Read Bible daily
This one is tough!! I would be happy if I can spend 15 minutes every day reading from the Word.

2. Pray w/ family once a week
This normally takes 30 minutes - opening prayer, 2-3 songs, read a chapter and close with prayer.


Career Goals - 
1. Add a certification
I do plan on adding another certification. Being in IT, its important to constantly learn and add to skills.

2. Obtain a job in OH, or NC, or Texas
I am not entirely sure as yet but these states are probable candidates. We would love to buy a house in one of the above. 


A total of 17 goals that encompass every area of my life! Which one do you think would be the easiest to accomplish and which would be the toughest. 

The goals that I've set would most certainly push me to greater heights and it would be fun to review the progress made quarterly.

Thank you for reading! 


No comments:

Post a Comment